Pilot Scale M-110EHMicrofluidizer® processor for Continuous, High Shear Fluid Processing
M-110EH Electric/Hydraulic Processor
This high shear fluid processor reliably achieves continuous operating pressures up to 30,000 psi (2068 bar). By maximizing energy-per-unit fluid volume, this machine produces uniform submicron particle and droplet sizes.
Utilizing Microfluidizer® fixed-geometry interaction chamber technology and a ceramic (Zirconia) plunger, the M-110EH processes a wide variety of fluids such as simple oil-in-water emulsions, solids-in-liquid suspensions and cell disruptions — including the most difficult yeasts and plant cells — in one or two passes. Most importantly, the process is repeatable and is guaranteed to scale up to production volumes.
How It Works
The M-110EH contains an on-board 3.7 kW (5 HP) electric-hydraulic module that powers a single acting intensifier pump. This pump amplifies the hydraulic pressure to the selected level, which in turn, imparts that pressure to the product stream.
The desired pressure, which is selected by a simple turn of a knob, is supplied at a constant rate to the product stream. The pump drives the product at constant pressure through the interaction chamber. The product stream accelerates through the chamber’s fixed-geometry micro-channels, creating high shear and impact forces that bring about the desired results. As the intensifier pump completes its pressure stroke, it reverses direction and draws in more of the product, again driving the product at constant pressure and repeating the process.
When the product exits the interaction chamber, it flows through the on-board heat exchanger, which regulates the product to a desired temperature. At this point, the product is recirculated through the system for further processing or directed externally to the next step in the process.
The pilot-scale M-110EH is recommended for:
- Particle Size Reduction for Submicron and Nano-Sized Particles
- Cell Disruption
- Immiscible Liquid Emulsions
- Solid-in-Liquid Suspensions
The M-110EH pilot scale Microfluidizer®:
- Handles minimum sample sizes as small as 120 ml
- Achieves processing pressures up to 2068 bar (30,000 psi)
- Produces flow rates up to 330 ml/min at 2068 bar (30,000 psi) or 450 ml/min at 1724 bar (25,000 psi)
- Guarantees scaleup to production
- Features an on-board heat exchanger for consistent discharge product temperature
- Is designed for Clean-in-Place with no disassembly required
- Is available with Steam-in-Place (SIP) option
- Is available with optional explosion-proof design
- Meets CE compliance standards (Europe)
- Patented, wear-resistant diamond interaction chamber — no moving parts
- Ceramic Auxiliary Processing Module (APM)
- Ceramic (Zirconia) plunger for extended seal life
- Stainless steel enclosure
- Electric hydraulic power unit
- Gauges for measuring process pressure, hydraulic drive pressure, and hydraulic oil level and temperature
- Portable self-contained unit, mounted on locking casters
- Feed temperature range 16˚C – 75˚C (35˚F – 165˚F)
- TEFC (totally enclosed fan-cooled) motor, starter, controls and power cord
- 2 liter reservoir
- 2 liter pressure-type reservoir
- 2 gallon pressure-type feed tank
- Sanitary flush diaphragm pressure transducer with digital readout
- On-board air compressor for air switch activation
- Interaction chamber cooling bath
- Explosion-proof design
- Solvent seal quench system
- ATEX – Zone 1